[SIPForum-discussion] (Rising Spam Alert) SIP-SIMPLE Subscribe to RLS and Presenceclarification

Robert Sparks rjsparks at nostrum.com
Wed Feb 14 14:02:52 UTC 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 1:12 AM, sukerry wrote:

> kamal mann,
>
> 1) yes
> 2) the following refreshing subscription messages are used to get
> presence state infomation (such as online, offline, busy...) from B
Not really. The current presence state information will already be at
A (by way of NOTIFYs, which get sent whenever B's presence changes
as long as the subscription is still active. The immediate NOTIFY
sent after a refresh subscription does contain the full presence
state, but that
was to simplify the protocol machinery, making refresh subscription
processing look much like initial subscribe process. Many folks have
noticed
that this causes unnecessary bandwidth to be used and have proposed
protocol extensions to suppress the NOTIFY after a refresh subscribe.