[SIPForum-discussion] RTCP Call Quality Monitoring

Nikos Leontsinis leontsinis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 18:55:20 UTC 2014

Rtcp has many limitations as a protocol.
1.It doesn't measure one way delay (which is needed for mos)  so you
measure round trip and you falsely assume that your network is
symmetric.
2. You don't know what you measure since you don't know who is sending
the rtcp report back to you
the service provider or the carrier? I have the carrier environment
experience in mind.
3. Not everyone implements rfc 3550.
4.It is based on sampling as a control protocol hence it is not accurate.
You might like to have a look at the http://www.voipfuture.com/ an rtp
based solution but you still have the limitation that you only measure
your own backbone not the calls end to end accurately as you should.
In my opinion this is a well overlooked topic across the industry.

/nikos

Nikos Leontsinis
skype: leontsinis2