[SIPForum-discussion] SIP response 480 is same as SIP response 408

Broussard, Dan Dan.Broussard at Level3.com
Thu Jun 17 16:29:07 UTC 2010

408    Request time-out ;  This is indicative of a non-response from VoIP provider 1 or 2.
480    Temporarily not available ; This should be used if they can't reach the end-user

From: discussion-bounces at sipforum.org [mailto:discussion-bounces at sipforum.org] On Behalf Of amit salunkhe
Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2010 9:30 AM
To: discussion at sipforum.org
Subject: [SIPForum-discussion] SIP response 480 is same as SIP response 408

Hi All

As per the following call flow can anybody gudie me whether receiving Sp response 408 instead of 480 when far end PSTN user is unavailable or unreachable?

Call Flow-

Voip provider 1--------------------->VOIP provider2_-----------------------> PSTN operator--------------------------> PSTn network--->User

If VOIP provider 1 getting SIP response 408 requs. time out instead of 480 Temp. unavailable, is this right signaling? Within RFC draft 2833 is here any comment on this,like for temp. unavailable or unreachable user we can accept 408 instead f 480?

Please comment your thughts.

Amit--