[SIPForum-discussion] Lighting the MWI

Rosen, Brian Brian.Rosen at neustar.biz
Wed Jun 2 00:25:45 UTC 2010

It's not clear to me if you are trying to implement the entire voicemail service, or just the MWI.

I'm going to assume the latter.

If all your app needs to do is light the MWI, you don't register.

Your app shouldn't be subscribing, assuming the MITEL is compliant with the MWI RFC.  Instead, the phones should be subscribing to your app.  This isn't a UAC/UAS thing, the roles are Notifier and Subscriber.  You have to be the Notifier, not the Subscriber.

You should be sending the NOTIFY to the phone, not receiving a NOTIFY from the controller.

Now, it's possible that the MITEL doesn't follow the RFCs and has some proprietary mechanism.  If that is the case, I can't help you.

Phones usually only have one MWI source: whatever VM server they use.  They usually can't subscribe to more than one MWI source.

The sequence for MWI according to the standards is
1) phone subscribes to VM server or other MWI source once when they boot.  The subscription is refreshed so it is always active
2) VM server or MWI source sends NOTIFY to change state of MWI lamp.

Brian