[SIPForum-discussion] RES: how user agent knows that standby serverisnow active?

Giscard Fernandes Faria GISCARDF at nec.com.br
Thu Jan 14 09:13:38 UTC 2010

I believe there are several ways to solve that.

If both active and standby servers are from the same vendor it is possible create a "synch" communication between them. So when the active one goes down the standby one assume the active IP address - at this way UA have no clue on what happened and things goes smoothly. However it is necessary keep in mind that both servers must keep session persistent so it can continue a valid call.

If SIP servers are from different technology I would not recommend using heartbeats (this generate unnecessary traffic). I believe a better way would be configuring two IP address on the UA using a priority order. If the first one fails it can try the second one, and so further. However at this way established calls will be lost.

One more time, those are only ideas. There is no wrong and right.

Regards

Giscard Fernandes Faria-  Software Engineering Department 
NEC Brasil S.A.
Phone +55 11 3151-7150 • Mobile + 55 11 8561-0710
"There are no ‘cookbook’ methods that can replace intelligence, experience, and good taste in design and programming", Bjarne Stroustrup

giscardf at nec.com.br

-----Mensagem original-----
De: discussion-bounces at sipforum.org [mailto:discussion-bounces at sipforum.org] Em nome de XIAO Xiaohong
Enviada em: quarta-feira, 13 de janeiro de 2010 23:39
Para: Snehalgk; discussion at sipforum.org
Assunto: Re: [SIPForum-discussion] how user agent knows that standby serverisnow active?

I think the User agent should implement a kind of heart beat communication between itself and active server, and between itself and standby server.
Option message maybe a suitable way to do this.

Any other ideas?

-----Original Message-----
From: discussion-bounces at sipforum.org [mailto:discussion-bounces at sipforum.org] On Behalf Of Snehalgk
Sent: 2010年1月13日 12:59
To: discussion at sipforum.org
Subject: [SIPForum-discussion] how user agent knows that standby server isnow active?

Hi all,

If active softswitch server fails & standby server will take all functions of active server then how user agent knows that standby server is now active?

More information about the discussion mailing list