[SIPForum-discussion] how user agent knows that standby server isnow active?

Aaron Ober aaron.ober at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 12:32:24 UTC 2010

Usually this is handled by using a highly available soft switch
implementation, as you have database synchronization issues (location
registrar, credentials and allowed features and so on) to deal with.
However, if this is no the case, then I would expect that you would be using
the following two items at a minimum:

   1. Having the registrar (or SBC) force the UAC to register more
   frequently, so that the UAC's register to the new active registrar and not
   miss too many calls. The faster the registration, the less likley a user
   will notice the fail over. Usually an SBC is used to protect the registrar
   which can force the UAC to register frequently (like every 45 seconds or so)
   but only sends the registration up to the soft switch according to the
   registration expires value (usually 3600 seconds) returned in the 200 OK.
   This takes the load off the soft switch, but keeps the UAC communicating
   with the registrar/SBC.
   2. Leverage RFC-3263 on your UAC to rsolve the server address(es) and let
   DNS do it's intended function.

Hope this helps!
Aaron