[SIPForum-discussion] Về: SIP Security

Nguyen Duc Hoang sizer86 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 10 08:06:04 UTC 2009

Hi Sriam

1) I don't have the message's details. So i can't confirm what kind of authentication method is used in that case.
2) The Call Flow is in a document publiced by Ruishan Zhang, Xinyuan Wang,
Xiaohui Yang, Xuxian Jiang  from GeorgeMason University and the direction of INVITE is from SubA to Proxy.
3) In that document, that was a real INVITE Relay Billing Attack in AT&T network.That's what i read.
4) MITM captures all messages from SubA then uses its credentials to take unauthorized calls to Proxy. That means attacker don't have to pay anything for his calls and the billing.

The important point is that i don't know how an attacker become MITM? How can he fool the SubA to sent INVITE message to him but not to Proxy Server?
If the authentication here is TLS, IP Sec and HTTP Digest, how can an attacker fool network's elements to sent message to his devices.

Another problem is when an attacker became MITM, which fields of message from SubA he will use to take an authorized calls?

Best regard
Hoang ND