[SIPForum-discussion] Cannot register with SIP server

Mike Jiang mike.jiang at andersontaylor.com
Wed Jul 1 20:50:19 UTC 2009

Hi, All

     I just ran into a problem of registration with the SIP server suddenly
when switching to a new SIP server provider.

     In order for the UAC to send register SIP msg to the SIP server, first
the UAC tries to open a socket to the SIP server, the UAC calls the Winsock
to do that (running in a mobile 6 system). A few times it worked. Very
often, it's failed. I don't know what happened. So we put an infinite loop
over there, and the UAC keeps trying that until success.

     I guessed the SIP server must received some things from the UAC since
the UAC received the auto played voice msg within a few seconds. The voice
msg was from the SIP server. I asked the tech support guys of the SIP server
provider if they found any thing coming from the UAC, they said nothing
received except two empty packets. They said their server doesn't accept any
socket connection except for SIP messages. I repeatedly told them that the
socket is a channel, like a pipe connected to two endpoints, while the SIP
is a protocol defining the msg type by the SIP header and runs over top of
TCP or UDP. Looked like they confused themselves with two different items.

     So my question is: for not making a socket connection, is it a problem
on the UAC side or on the SIP server side?

      Really appreciate any helps,

      Mike J.