[SIPForum-discussion] Privacy header for Anonymous calls (Remote-Party-ID Header)

Athar Waqas athar.waqas at gmail.com
Wed May 28 08:48:04 UTC 2008

Hi Shakil
Well lets see ur asking whats the URI thing doing in the privacy header...
simple answer to this is when you have to hide the callerID number and send
your own number from the GW then the privacy header is set to URI.
You do not necessarily include the From URL in the Remote-Party-ID. What you
include is identity information for the calling party which may or may not
be the same (if you want privacy, you obviously don't include your real
identity in the From header field, since the From header field cannot be
changed). You can put anyting you want in a From URL, but not in a
Remote-Party-Id.

In your case

Remote-Party-ID: <sip:7026668880 at 8.4.7.6:5060>;*privacy=uri*

Anonymity: uri
in this scenario, the sip/isup gw will use one of its own phone numbers as
the calling party number and that number needs privacy, not the original
from uri:<sip:7026668880 at 8.4.7.6:5060>

You do not necessarily include the From URL in the Remote-Party-ID. What you
include is identity information for the calling party which may or may not
be the same (if you want privacy, you obviously don't include your real
identity in the From header field, since the From header field cannot be
changed). You can put anyting you want in a From URL, but not in a
Remote-Party-Id.

There is no such requirement. In fact, if you have requested privacy, you
are almost guaranteed that the two will be different.

I hope i have been as simple as i can be but if you need anyother
information please do get back.

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Shakil, Rashid <rshakil at covad.com> wrote:

>  Hello,
>

> Folks just have a quick question. If I am receiving a caller ID
> hide/anonymous call what should be privacy header (part of *Remote-Party-ID
> header*) look like in the SIP peering environment. Should the privacy
> header is "*privacy=full*". One of my SIP Peer is sending "*privacy=uri*"
> for anonymous calls/caller ID hide calls and my question is it a correct
> format or do they have to send "privacy=full". I never noticed "uri" so far
> all the previous carriers I have worked with send "full" for caller ID hide
> calls and "off" for normal calls.
>

> Remote-Party-ID: <sip:7026668880 at 8.4.7.6:5060>;*privacy=uri*
>
> Anonymity: uri
>

> Regards,
>

> Rashid Shakil.

Athar Waqas
Manager NGN
Breezecom
Mobile: +92-321-3895127
Direct: +92-21-5823676
Landline: +92-21-5378226/7
Email: athar at breezecom.ae
MSN ID: athar at breezecom.ae
Fax: +92-21-5824178
Address: F-73/4, Block 4, Clifton, Karachi, Pakistan