[SIPForum-discussion] The SIP Forum Bulletin Board Project

Marc Robins marc.robins at sipforum.org
Mon Jan 7 17:30:53 UTC 2008

SIP Forum Members,

First off, here's wishing all a very happy 2008! I hope everyone is off to a
good start in this New Year.

We've heard your cries, and have taken your suggestions to heart, and I
wanted to let you know that we are in the process of revamping our community
outreach and messaging infrastructure by developing a new bulletin board.

We feel this will cure much of what currently ails our email-based approach,
in that a bulletin board will provide the means to not only offer threads
that will appeal directly to the varied interests of the community, but will
also allow users to create new threads as new information needs arise.

We are currently in the planning stages, and are compiling a list of
features and main forum (thread) groups that will initially seed the BB.
The list below serves as just a starting point, and we welcome additional
suggestions and your comments.

-- We plan to offer RSS feeds of the BB threads, so that users can have new
posts pushed to them if they so desire.

-- We are looking into the possibility of enabling email-based posting of
new entries, so that users can easily compose posts when they are offline,
or be able to send posts from a Blackberry, etc.

-- We are also on the lookout for qualified moderators that can add value
and order to the process. Interested parties are invited to contact me
directly.

Regarding the main forum threads groups, we are considering:

-- a "sipforum-members" forum that is announce only, and posts SIP Forum
news, announcements, co-sponsorship messages and opportunities, to all
participant members. We will also maintain an email list for this purpose as
well.

-- a special full member-only access area that is password restricted.

-- a new introductory SIP "implementers" thread that is moderated, to help
direct people to more specific sources of RFC info and other assistance.

-- focused forum groups, including SIP Standard (RFCs, etc.), SIP
Developers, SIP Trunking/SIPconnect, SIP Security, Hardware, Phone and
Endpoints, Asterisk 101.

best,

Marc

*************************