[SIPForum-discussion] The SIP Forum Bulletin Board Project

Dan York dyork at voxeo.com
Wed Jan 9 18:50:30 UTC 2008

Marc,

Thanks for your update and I'm glad you are exploring options for
communication.
> > We feel this will cure much of what currently ails our email-
> based approach, in that a bulletin board will provide the means to
> not only offer threads that will appeal directly to the varied
> interests of the community, but will also allow users to create new
> threads as new information needs arise.
DY> Personally, I think what "ails" the email-based approach is that
there is a lack of clarity around what this email list is for.  When
you sign up for SIP Forum membership, you are encouraged to join this
mailing list to stay in touch with SIP Forum members.  I did - and
found I was in a list for general questions about SIP, often by folks
new to the protocol.

DY> I think that particular issue could be solved by simply having a
"members at sipforum.org" mailing list that was set up for the express
reason of allowing people to communicate with each other on *SIP
Forum* matters.  Yes, there are the Marketing and Technical Working
Groups, but there's no place to really communicate with all members.

DY> While I'm a fan of bulletin boards for many reasons (easily
searchable, SEO through Google, etc.) I have to admit that they don't
work really well for me personally.  I don't have time to visit
websites.  I need the information *pushed* to me somehow.  Email,
with all its limitations, works well in this regard.

DY> So please consider this my request that if you do go the bulletin
board route, please consider some way for those of us who would
prefer to interact via email to be able to do so.

DY> Actually, on that note... this is exactly what Google Groups
do... have you considered using one of those instead?  It lets people
participate through either the web interface or the email interface
and people see all messages regardless of which interface they use.

My 2 cents,
Dan

--
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork at voxeo.com
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com

Bring your web applications to the phone.
Find out how at http://evolution.voxeo.com