[SIPForum-discussion] SFTF - SIP Test Framework.

Jay Batson jay.batson at sipforum.org
Thu Jan 25 22:41:25 UTC 2007

Robert also replied, but I'll add a couple of points.

1)  As Robert said, the SIP Foundry changed its website without
notifying us, omitting the SFTF in the process.

Thanks again for the bug report -- we resolved this immediately, and
the project is now properly included in the SIP Foundry website (look
at the secondary menu under the "Developer" tab).  A couple of the
links within the various pages are likely to be broken for a few more
hours until we get them pointed to the proper URLs within the SIP
Foundry website, and get the various (old) pages moved over to the
new site.

2)  The Subversion (SVN) URLs for the code itself are the "same as
the old ones."  These URLs are listed on the project page.

3)  Robert didn't detail Ed's factual inaccuracies about SFTF
"ownership," and I want to clarify his comments.  I'm speaking about
where "ownership" = Intellectual Property Rights.

The SIP Foundry provides (to the Forum) the needed development, code,
and contributor maintenance structure to maintain the SFTF in open
source form.  It provides servers to host the downloads, version
control software, contributor license agreement management, and other
necessary functions required to properly release and support an open
source project.

But the SIP Forum is (still) the copyright holder for the SFTF, and
the SFTF is released as open source under the GPL.  The SIP Foundry
does also have some copyright rights in some of the code, as a result
of managing contributor agreements for us, at our request.  But the
Forum did not "give away" ownership of the SFTF.

4)  Robert has already corrected the the inaccuracy of the
"foundering" remark relative to continuing contributions to the
existing framework.  Relative to new tests, the SIP Phone technical
recommendation is currently being restarted with newly-added
volunteers to get this restarted.  Once this task group produces a
Technical Recommendation, we expect examine whether the scope of the
Framework should be expanded with new cases / code, etc.  If you have
suggested things you think should be done in the interim, please feel
free to bring them up on the Technical Working Group mailing list
(techwg at sipforum dot org).

Finally, with regard to to the SIP Forum's activities of late, I'm
late to the comments on this today as a direct result of some Forum
activity.  I'm happy to say that -- as I write this -- I'm in Miami,
FL., USA helping moderate 3 days of seminars on SIP Trunking (at the
Internet Telephony Conference, for which we are a marketing co-
sponsor).  These sessions include a good discussion of the SIP
Forum's SIPconnect technical recommendation, completed by the SIP
Forum during 2006.  The session panelists include many SIP Forum Full
Members, as well as Rich Shockey, the Task Group Chair for the SIP
Forum's SIPconnect Task group.  We are midway through day 2, and have
had well over 200 attendees from all over the western hemisphere -
from the U.S. to Brazil, and more - come learn about SIP Forum
SIPconnect.  It's clearly one of the biggest activities at this
conference, and the Forum is happy to be a meaningful part of the
effort to increase the adoption of, and advance the interoperability
of SIP Trunking.  You learn more about SIPconnect at http://
www.sipforum.org/sipconnect

Thanks again to all for giving us visibility on the issues with the
SIP Foundry.
Cheers
-jb

On Jan 25, 2007, at 11:47 AM, Ed Keegan wrote:
> In short, nothing has been done regarding the test framework since
> it was commissioned.
>
> The SIP Forum, which paid for the test framework to be developed,
> promptly gave away ownership of the test framework to the SIP
> Foundry, where it has floundered ever since.
>
> I suggest you ask the Chairman and Managing Director for an
> explanation. And while you're at it, you might want to ask what the
> Forum has actually been doing for the last 2 years under his
> leadership.
>
> Good luck!

Jay Batson
Managing Director, Chairman