[SIPForum-discussion] forwarding more than one 2xx in a proxyserver

Robert Sparks rjsparks at nostrum.com
Tue Feb 6 16:53:56 UTC 2007

This is not correct.

Any 1xx message except 100 Trying is an end-to-end message. If the
INVITE forks, the client
will receive ALL 1xx > 100 sent by any receiving endpoint.

In particular, if the request forks to three places and they each
send 183s, the client is going to
receive three different 183s (and likely early media from all three
locations).

The relevant section of the spec is RFC3261 section 16.7 subsection 5
(see page 109).

As an aside - the 1xx messages have no built in recovery from
transport failure for unreliable transports (UDP).
There is an extension named 100rel (see RFC3262) that adds a
mechanism to ensure those provisional
messages get delivered if they are really important to the application.

RjS