[SIPForum-discussion] Purpose of SIP Forum mailing lists? (Was Re: flow of RTP in SIPP)

Dan York dyork at voxeo.com
Mon Dec 24 15:14:20 UTC 2007

Shuky,

You ask an excellent question and one that, in my opinion, can
probably only be addressed by Eric Burger (SIP Forum Chair) or Marc
Robins (SIP Forum Executive Director).  The SIP Forum operates three
mailing lists:

   http://www.sipforum.org/content/view/41/165/

and this one, "discussion at sipforum.com", is defined on that page as:
"a general-purpose mailing list for questions about SIP".

With that definition, pretty much anything can be sent out here. I
think the question you raise really is:  what *should* be sent out on
this list? Should this mailing list be broken out into separate lists
for separate topic areas?  (Given the software currently used by the
SIP Forum, I don't see any other way to separate out the content in
the manner you mention.)

Given that here in North America many people have taken time off
between now and New Year's Day, I don't expect you'll see a whole lot
of discussion on this topic until the new year... but I agree it is a
good question.

Regards,
Dan

P.S. Regarding discussion of RFCs and Internet-Drafts, I would
suggest that some of that (particularly the "new features") is also
being discussed in the IETF mailing lists at: http://www.ietf.org/
maillist.html     Certainly, though, there is a need for a venue for
discussion of *implementation* of RFCs, which is a valuable service
that the SIP Forum lists can provide.

On Dec 24, 2007, at 3:11 AM, Shuky Persky wrote:

> hi all,
>
> does SIP-Forum classify members emails by subject ?
>
> for example:
>
>         (1) a question like the one below may be classified as
> assistance-class
>         (2) RFCs discussion class
>         (3) SIP new features discussion  class (not yet RFC'ed)
>         (4) other  classes ...
>
> so every member can select what (s)he likes rather than being flood
> by emails like th eone below
> which  (w/ all the respect) may not be of interest for part/many/
> most of the members
>
> again - w/ all the respect to the one that asked the question. pls
> do not be offended.
>
> tnx, shuky

Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork at voxeo.com
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com

Bring your web applications to the phone.
Find out how at http://evolution.voxeo.com