[SIPForum-discussion] [Sip-implementors] RTP packet loss tolerance/ timers

James Bress jrbress at asttechlabs.com
Sun Sep 25 18:48:42 UTC 2022

RTP is usually used to carry audio and video media.
The analysis of how to manage error recovery will likely begin with understanding the nature of the RTP media traffic.
If it is two-way real time conversation (e.g., Zoom, Teams, etc.) then there is generally not a good way to retransmit anything lost.
In this case, the best you can do is minimize the delay to establish the alternate routes.
However, if the media is one-way streaming (e.g., Netflix), then a scheme that includes resending X milli-seconds of lost media would likely provide a better customer experience if the application is buffered appropriately.
... James Bress