[SIPForum-discussion] RTP packet loss tolerance/ timers

Amanpreet Singh amanpreeet.singh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 10:26:22 UTC 2022

Hi Fellows,

We are working with our network team for audio/video traffic routing, some
of the liks are not redundant and failover takes around 3 seconds to route
the packets on the new link.

I'm trying to understand if we have some standard timers defined (have gone
through the RFC 3550 and 4585) for RTP but couldn't find.
My understanding is, transport for RTP is UDP, which does not offer
reliability and left upto the application to determine the packet loss and
inform the user.

Are there any new developments around reliability and tolerance of RTP
media for voice and video.Or any way to control the timers to handle  the
network level instability.

Regards,
Amanpreet Singh.