[SIPForum-discussion] Is SIP important to IoT?

Thomas Lentz LENTZ at de.ibm.com
Tue Jul 19 18:02:19 UTC 2016

Hi Rodrigo,
I recently had two students working on the topic SIP based IoT palttform.
In essence: the SIP protocol is not very well suited to play a role in
device connectivity, there are "better" protocols in regards to
complexity.
But as a protocol to connect IoT Gateways it is very well suited,
especially when you are using a SIP platform as middleware to aggregate
data from billions of gateways. Doing so you are also able to use
Application Servers (see 3GPP's IMS spec) to process the IoT data.

Greetings
 Thomas

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Thomas Lentz

Senior IT Architect
Global Business Services
NGN Competence Center (www.ngn-factory.com)

Phone:
+49-69-90551-137
 IBM Deutschland

Mobile:
+49-175-2232071
 Wilhelm-Fay-Str. 30-34
E-Mail:
lentz at de.ibm.com
 65936 Frankfurt

 Germany

IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke,Dieter
Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940