[SIPForum-discussion] Is SIP important to IoT?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Jul 14 19:44:34 UTC 2016

> On 14 Jul 2016, at 21:28, Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho <pimenta at inatel.br> wrote:
> 
> Hi Olle.
> 
> Thank you very much for the answer. I was suspecting that SIP could or couldn't be used and it would depend on the kind of project we want to implement. For example, nowadays I'm participating in a team developing a intercom that has communication with smartphones. That intercom uses OpenSIPS, as a SIP Proxy, and must be connected to Internet all the time. I'm still not sure if such project can be considered in IoT context. By the way, that intercom is a thing connected to Internet.
Right now I think engineers have to see the term “Internet of things” as marketing stuff and focus on things that we can work on… :-)
The new challenges are with small devices that are very constrained and the IETF has been doing a lot of work in this area. Search for
COAP or 6lowpan and you’ll find some good discussions.

Right now all small boxes with connections to an Internet-based service is rebranded “IoT” - last week it was “Cloud Connected”.

> 
> With your explanation I see that I still have to get a better understanding about thoses concepts.
The Internet Society hasa good introuduction to IoT you can use as a starting point
http://www.internetsociety.org/doc/iot-overview

Cheers
/O
> 
> Best regards.
> 
> RODRIGO PIMENTA CARVALHO
> Inatel Competence Center
> Software
> Ph: +55 35 3471 9200 RAMAL 979
> 
> 
> De: Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net <mailto:oej at edvina.net>>
> Enviado: quinta-feira, 14 de julho de 2016 16:13
> Para: Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho
> Cc: Olle E Johansson; discussion at sipforum.org <mailto:discussion at sipforum.org>
> Assunto: Re: [SIPForum-discussion] Is SIP important to IoT?
>  
> 
>> On 11 Jul 2016, at 22:53, Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho <pimenta at inatel.br <mailto:pimenta at inatel.br>> wrote:
>> 
>> Hi.
>> 
>> I'm starting to study about Internet of Things and how SIP relates to it. So, I have some beginner questions:
>> 
>> 1 - How much does SIP matter to IoT? That is, can I say that SIP is very important to IoT because many communications on this "new" Internet will use such protocol?
>> 
>> 2 - Could someone here point some project for IoT that depends on SIP?
>> 
>> 3 - If SIP is important to IoT, what is the main use of such protocol in ioT in general?
>> 
>> Any hint will be very helpful!
> It all depends on your current definition of IoT and which marketing guy you listen to :-)
> 
> In the IETF we have a definition of constrained devices and for those I believe it will be hard to run
> any realtime multimedia communication unless all the codecs are handled in hardware.
> Battery power is the limiting resource here, CPU power coming as the second factor.
> 
> If you discuss IoT as “stuff in the home that connects to the cloud” - it all depends on
> a definition of “the cloud”. Again, it depends on which marketing stuff you’ve been reading.
> 
> Technologies like SIP and WebRTC has a role in that market, since it’s not really depending
> on battery limitations. There are many examples, if you search google for “Tim Panton”
> you will find a few very good examples of what Tim is doing with WebRTC data channels.
> 
> Good luck in your research!
> /O

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://sipforum.org/pipermail/discussion/attachments/20160714/a1e7df3c/attachment-0002.html>

More information about the discussion mailing list