[SIPForum-discussion] Have I to consider a STUN server in my solution with SIP?

Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho pimenta at inatel.br
Tue Oct 27 19:06:20 UTC 2015

Dear SIP-users,

In my current project, a SIP Proxy in a server and some SIP-Softphones will communicate according to the following case:

1 - The sip proxy has a public IP.

2 - One of the softphones is running in the same sip proxy host, and it has a public IP too. It can be same public IP for both software.

3 - All others softphones are running in others networks, behind different NATs. So, these softphones had received local IPs, via DHCP.

4 - All softphones are registered in such sip proxy.

5 - The softphone in the same machine of sip proxy will receive or send SIP INVITE from/to the others softphones, to initiate SIP sessions.

6 - However, the sip proxy is configured to forbid any SIP session between those softphones behind the NATs.

So, the sip communication will exist only between the sip proxy host and the others softphones that are behind NATs. During the communications, the peers will exchange voice and video packets with RTP over UDP.

For this specific scenario, have I to consider, to use and configure a STUN server for those softphones that are behind the NATs?

If yes, why?

Any hint will be very helpful.

Best regards.

RODRIGO PIMENTA CARVALHO