[SIPForum-discussion] Correct way to handle non-E.164 numbers for outbound dialing

Dale R. Worley worley at ariadne.com
Wed Nov 25 13:40:01 UTC 2015

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> writes:
> On 10/26/15 7:34 AM, Harshith Mulky wrote:
>> Is there a possibility we can handle non E164 Numbers like 911, 112 to
>> send out ENUM queries in E164 format?
>
> They aren't E164 numbers. And hence AFAIK there is no defined way to
> transform them into an ENUM query.
>
> They aren't well defined globally.
>
>> If so, how would this be done in SIP to create a Req-URI or any other
>> Protocols?

There is also the mechanism in RFC 5031, where the request-URI is a URN
identifying the service that is desired.  E.g., urn:service:sos.
Presumably the switches through which the request passes know how such
requests should be routed based on the context of the call.  But I don't
know of any implementations of that system.

Dale