[SIPForum-discussion] Correct way to handle non-E.164 numbers for outbound dialing

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Sat Nov 7 16:56:42 UTC 2015

On 10/26/15 7:34 AM, Harshith Mulky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A question I have,
>
> Is there a possibility we can handle non E164 Numbers like 911, 112 to
> send out ENUM queries in E164 format?

They aren't E164 numbers. And hence AFAIK there is no defined way to
transform them into an ENUM query.

They aren't well defined globally.

> If so, how would this be done in SIP to create a Req-URI or any other
> Protocols?

In tel format they have to be represented as local numbers, which
require a phone-context parameter. E.g.,

tel:911;phone-context=+1

You can use that in an R-URI, or convert to a sip uri:

sip:911;phone-context=+1 at foobar.com

	Thanks,
	Paul