[SIPForum-discussion] When will the System Generate the first OPTION Message

Dale R. Worley worley at ariadne.com
Thu Dec 17 21:16:43 UTC 2015

> On 12/14/15, Vernal DSouza <vjd2112 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> OPTIONS can be sent to query the status of the UAS i.e. whether it is still
>> IN-SERVICE to handle the traffic or not. So, when the INVITE is sent to that
>> session-agent, if it does not respond then OPTIONS (if configured) are sent
>> . OPTIONS are re-transmitted until trans-expire time is reached and then
>> puts the session-agent in OOS state. My question is when are the OPTIONS
>> message sent, I mean is there any timer or standard time after which the
>> OPTIONS message is sent when the INVITE is not getting any response?
>> If I rephrase it, When will the system (SBC) generate the first OPTION
>> Message in this scenario?

Within SIP itself, a UAC or SBC can generate an OPTIONS request at any
time.  Any system that receives an OPTIONS request must respond to it
correctly.  I don't know much about SIPconnect; it may specify that
OPTIONS requests are to be sent at particular times.  But it would be
unwise to build a system that cannot properly response to an OPTIONS
request at any time that the system is in-service, as originating
systems are likely to expect that it can respond to OPTIONS.

Dale