[SIPForum-discussion] What are the uses of P-Preferred-Identity??

Pritam SE prachipritam at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 16:30:01 UTC 2015

Hi Pendyala,

< Based on RFC 3325 >

The P-Preferred-Identity header field is used from a user agent to a
trusted proxy to carry the identity. The user sending the SIP message
wishes to be used for the P-Asserted-Header field value that the
trusted element will insert.

A P-Preferred-Identity header field value MUST consist of exactly one
name-addr or addr-spec.  There may be one or two P-Preferred-Identity
values.  If there is one value, it MUST be a sip, sips, or tel URI.

If there are two values, one value MUST be a sip or sips URI and the
other MUST be a tel URI.  It is worth noting that proxies can (and
will) remove this header field.

If a P-Preferred-Identity header field is present in the message that
a proxy receives from an entity that it does not trust, the proxy MAY
use this information as a hint suggesting which of multiple valid
identities for the authenticated user should be asserted.

A user agent only sends a P-Preferred-Identity header field to proxy
servers in a Trust Domain; user agents MUST NOT populate the
P-Preferred-Identity header field in a message that is not sent
directly to a proxy that is trusted by the user agent.

< Based on 3GPP 24.229 5.1.2A.1.1 General >

The UE may insert a P-Preferred-Identity header field in any initial
request for a dialog or request for a standalone transaction as a hint
for creation of an asserted identity (contained in the
P-Asserted-Identity header field) within the IM CN subsystem.

The UE shall determine the public user identity to be used for this
request as follows:

1) if a P-Preferred-Identity was included, then use that as the public
user identity for this request; or

2) if no P-Preferred-Identity was included, then use the default
public user identity for the security association or TLS session and
the associated contact address as the public user identity for this
request;

Thanks,
Prachi