[SIPForum-discussion] Query about 407 proxy authentication Required in SIP response

Durgesh kumar singh durgeshk1990 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 06:08:39 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have been reading about SIP register flow and most of the place i found
that whenever any SIP client try to Register then server response with 401
unauthorized and then http-digest authentication field added in our next
Register message headers by which our client get register successfully.

In our project when our SIP client try to register then it first passes
with a *proxy server* then to *IntraSwitch SIP server.*

In our case Registration flow is look like this.

SIP Client                                         SIP Server

    REGISTER with no authentication
A --------------------------------------------->

    407 Proxy Authentication required
A <--------------------------------------------

     REGISTER with Authentication

               200 OK 1 binding

So here my question is that is *407 proxy Authentication required *SIP
response is correct response for SIP registration or it should be *401
Unauthorized ?*

Please clear my concept.

Regards,
Durgesh Kumar Singh