[SIPForum-discussion] Consultation - How to decode G729 (SIP)

Prakash Singh Chaudhary prakashsinghchaudhary at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 09:35:00 UTC 2014

Dear Vinicio,

Follow the below steps

First Download Audacity and Open G.729 Decoder
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
http://codecpro.com/openInitG729.html

1.       On Wireshark under RTP, do show all streams and select the desired
media stream for Analyzing.Then do Save Payload and keep the format as
.raw. Like save it as *g.729Forward.raw*

2.       You will have to save both the directions media in different files
like g.729Forward.raw and g.729Reverse.raw.

3.       Saving both the directions file will give you error.

4.       Then download the *Open G.729 Decoder* from Internet and convert
the .raw files to *.pcm* format

c:\g729\

Syntax: va_g729_decoder.exe sample.raw sample.pcm.raw

 Example:

 cd c:\g729

 c:\g729\va_g729_decoder.exe forward.raw forward.pcm

 5.       Do this for both the files and the Open Audacity, Select Project
èImport Raw File è Select one of the two files and then choose

Signed 16-bit pc, no endianness, 1 channel (mono), Start offset:0, Amount
to import: 100%, Sample Rate : 8000

6.       Select Project -> Import raw File... *(for the other file)*

Select the g729reverse.pcm file and choose the same settings. This will
open both the forward and reverse PCM files in Audacity. When you click
play, you will now be able to hear both sides of the conversation played
together.

Regards.

Prakash Singh Chaudhary