[SIPForum-discussion] in REGISTER method can we use Tel URI?

Rakesh Datta rakesh.datta6 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 19:28:03 UTC 2013

Hi Michael,

Just try to understand the purpose of REGISTER.. It is used by an end-point
to register it's credentials to the registrar in-charge of a particular
domain(provided in req-uri) with its own location details(provided in
contact)...
Now, just ask yourself, if the Req-URI is a tel one, how you're going to
achieve that..

RFC does not mandate anything here.. It's use-case based...So if you can
achieve the purpose of REGISTER using tel-uri,well you are free to use
it.However, you really have to give a thought on, can you really achieve it
by using tel-uri ?

P.S. user part is mandatory in tel-uri.

Regards,
Rakesh Datta