[SIPForum-discussion] Regarding calculation of "Out of order" packets in RTP

Badri Ranganathan badri at arcatech.com
Wed May 29 16:29:44 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Does anyone know how out of order packets are measured in RTP?
Say for a particular SSRC value we have sequence numbers of RTP packets as follows -
1,2,3,4,9,6,7,10
How many out of order packets are present? Is the answer 1 because just sequence number 6 alone is out of order after 9? i.e., can we say that sequence numbers 6,7 are in order ?

In RFC 3550 for RTP, I can see discussions for misordering. Is this for calculating out of order packets?

Thanks,
Badri.