[SIPForum-discussion] CANCEL for reinvite

AMIT ANAND amiit.anand at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 11:17:25 UTC 2013

Hi All,

>From RFC we could see that it says UAC shall not send CANCEL if it has not
received provisional response of original request.

Once the CANCEL is constructed, the client SHOULD check whether it has
received any response (provisional or final) for the request being
cancelled (herein referred to as the "original request").
If no provisional response has been received, the CANCEL request MUST NOT
be sent; rather, the client MUST wait for the arrival of a provisional
response before sending the request.

Question is what does Original Request refers here? Transaction CANCEL
going to cancel or initial request which started dialog, if transaction and
not initial request then whats its use because CANCEL is to cancel a
transaction its obvious its going to cancel a transaction, and  transaction
has only one request?

Do we need to wait for Provisional response for reinvite to send cancel? If
yes what if far end does not sent any provisional response and straight
sends 200OK, and we have cancel pending on another leg?

Thanks
Amit