[SIPForum-discussion] Difference between One and Both way RTP Media

Dave McBride davemcbride123 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 19:37:45 UTC 2013

Hi

The SIP 200 OK will be the answer to the initial INVITE. With the 200 OK
and the associated ACK the session has started i.e the call is answered,
and two parties will speak.

The ISUP Progress is sent before the call is answered to indicate that the
called device is ringing, or early media will be played, so one way voice -
from the called party to the calling party is appropriate. We don't care
about the callers voice until the call is answered. ISUP 'progress'
is analogous to SIP 180/183.

Thanks

Dave