[SIPForum-discussion] Difference between One and Both way RTP Media

Abhisek Acharya abhisek.acharya at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 10:26:04 UTC 2013

A simple example can be remote ringback.In case of remote ringback the
calling party hears the ringback tone and RTP flows from the called party
to calling party.This is a case of one way audio.In banking applications
when you call for creditcard payment you hear the announcements and they
are kind of one way RTP.

2.You call some mobile subscriber and that person has enabled a caller-tune
.The calling party will hear the song set by the called GSM subscriber and
that is a clear example of one way RTP.

GSM technology uses ISUP/BICC(bearer independent call control) for Signal
processing between MSCs and ISUP has different bits defined for this
mechanism.

Please let me know if something is not clear in this.

Regards
Abhisek Acharya