[SIPForum-discussion] Issue to use Tag

Dinesh Rao dinesh2022 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 18:36:56 UTC 2012

Hi Stephen,

I have one question to you.As you said, In case of forking for two 18x
the via headers which is used by proxies to distinguish between two forked
calls before dialog establishment.I think tags and callid is something used
after dialog is established but before dialog establishment, branches are
used to distinguish different transaction in case of forking before dialog
establishment.Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
C.Dinesh
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Stephen James <sjames_1958 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> The tags (along with the CALL-ID) identify a dialog, please see RFC 3261
> for complete description.
> Since there can be more than one dialog in a "call" the call ID is not
> sufficient.
>
> The most obvious case is a forking situation, where the INVITE is forked
> and there are two 18x responses establishing a dialogue.
> The From tag from the sender and each of the To tags from each of the
> responders would establish two dialogs under the same Call-id
>
> Call-Id, From, ToA and Call-Id, From and ToB
>
> Stephen James
> sjames_1958 at yahoo.com
>
> We are not princes of the earth, we are the descendants of worms, and any
> nobility must be earned.

*C.Dinesh*
Sr. Software Engineer
Panterra Networks