[SIPForum-discussion] Issue to use Tag

Abhisek Acharya abhisek.acharya at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 04:20:40 UTC 2012

Hey Kareena,

RFC says call-id is not unique but the From-tag,To-tag and Call-id makes a
unique ID which is called as Dialogue ID.Now Tags differentiate the From
and To party.
Consider a scenario where a single INVITE is forked by a state-full proxy
and INVITE goes to multiple destinations.And Proxy gets multiple
provisional responses from different end users.

How the proxy will differentiate between different end points.It has to be
a different To-tag from different end users as From tag will be same for
all the forked INVITES.

Hope this clarifies your query.

Abhisek Acharya
GS-LAB