[SIPForum-discussion] 408 Request Timeout on INVITE

Martin Thorpe martinjasonthorpe at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 19 15:29:23 UTC 2012

Hi all

I'm wondering if you would be able to give me some advice, I'm trying to
write an app that sets up a call between my end point (softphone) and
another end point registered on the switch.

Basically the call goes like this:

1. I send INVITE from my end point via a SIP proxy to the called number (
5052 at domain.com) the SIP proxy then sends me back a 100 TRYING

2. The SIP proxy sends the INVITE on behalf of me to the Switch that the
called end point is registered on

3, A 408 Request Timeout is sent immediately back from the SIP Proxy to me
(the caller).

4. I ACK the timeout and tear down the call.

The strange thing is that the SIP session ladder shows the 408 Timeout from
the Proxy go to a step named (Error) instead of me the calling end point.

The only error I can see in the logs is "SIP Signaling Error" 408 Request
Timeout.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks