[SIPForum-discussion] 183 response code

Abhisek Acharya abhisek.acharya at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 11:11:25 UTC 2012

183 or 18x response will only be ACKED if they are travelling Reliably.That
perticular mechanism is called PRACK where for every 18x response ther will
be a corresponding PRACK message will go.!8x response will contain a Rseq
header and PRACK will contain a Rack header.Rseq contains a numerical value
and Rack just copies that value and sends it to the other end. PRACK is a
different request so it also gets the 200 response.

Corresponding 18x responses MUST keep increasing the Rseq value by a
numerical value 1 and alos corresponding PRACK messages
keep acknowledging the new Rseq value with Rack value.

At the end both the parties MUST support this mechanism and this is
mentioned in RFC 3262.INVITE must contain supported:100rel and 18x response
MUST and MUST contain Require:100rel tag to kick in the PRACK
mechanism.Please read RFC 3262 for any clarifications in this.Also If
possible send a call trace for any doubt.

Regards
Abhisek Acharya
PUNe