[SIPForum-discussion] Holding A call While It is an Audio/Video Call

mehmet eng.mehmetozi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 06:42:29 UTC 2012

Hi   Mithilesh ,

Thanks for your reply.
I have checked the RFC but it mentions only hold/unhold the streams.
When we have only an audio call, and the received reinvite contains
inactive attribute for the audio, we put the call on hold and indicate
this on the User Interface side(we put the dialog hold beside the
audio stream).

But in my case let's assume we have an audio and video stream with
sendrecv with the remote party.Then after the reinvite with the new
negotiation :

A offers :

      v=0
      o=alice 2890844526 2890844526 IN IP4 host.atlanta.example.com
      s=
      c=IN IP4 host.atlanta.example.com
      t=0 0
      m=audio 49170 RTP/AVP 0 8 97
      a=rtpmap:0 PCMU/8000
      a=rtpmap:8 PCMA/8000
      a=rtpmap:97 iLBC/8000
      a=inactive
      m=video 51372 RTP/AVP 31 32
      a=rtpmap:31 H261/90000
      a=rtpmap:32 MPV/90000
      a=sendrecv

B Answers :

      v=0
      o=bob 2808844564 2808844564 IN IP4 host.biloxi.example.com
      s=
      c=IN IP4 host.biloxi.example.com
      t=0 0
      m=audio 49174 RTP/AVP 0
      a=rtpmap:0 PCMU/8000
      a=inactive
      m=video 49170 RTP/AVP 32
      a=rtpmap:32 MPV/90000
      b=sendrecv

As we see audio stream will be inactive but video stream will be
sendrecv.If we did not have any video stream, we would put the call on
hold and show it on User Interface (GUI) to indicate that the we are
on hold when we receive a=inactive.
But now audio is inactive but video is sendrecv.
what should I do in this case?

Regards
Mehmet