[SIPForum-discussion] Query related to RFC 5626 implementation

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Mar 27 18:40:32 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 05:29 AM, Amit Baxi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am implementing RFC 5626 (Managing Client-Initiated Connections in the
> Session Initiation Protocol) for registrar application and I have a query:-
>
> *If the same contact is registered through multiple flows i.e. with
> different reg-id (in contact header field parameter), there will be
> multiple bindings in the location service for same contact URI
> (possibly, with different expires).*
>
> **
>
> *Now, suppose a regular REGISTER request (as defined in RFC 3261) is
> received for the same contact URI, how will we process it? Do we need to
> update all bindings for that contact ? Or remove all existing binding
> and just keep the new one or something else?*

If the SIP URI comparison rules dictate that the Contact URI supplied in
the REGISTER request matches an existing Contact URI bound to the AoR in
the Request URI, then the new REGISTER request is an update to the
existing binding. If the URIs don't match, then the requests are for
separate bindings.

--
Kevin P. Fleming