[SIPForum-discussion] What all the SIP error codes can be sent before 180 ringing and after 180 ringing.

Aniella Juverdeanu Aniella.Juverdeanu at telus.com
Tue Jan 3 23:02:24 UTC 2012

Theoretically it might look possible when you read the overview in section 13.1 of RFC 3261 but when you read further you can see in section 13.2.2 that  actually 180 followed by non-2XX final response doesn't make sense. Better be an early dialog followed by a non-2XX (like 183 with SDP when the caller can hear an announcement and then the call can be release with SIP error).
Also logically, when you would look at such trace it would look strange. If 180 was sent by UAS it should mean that it found the destination ready to receive the call. Eventually there would be ring no answer when a timer would be started and what node has a smaller timer could terminate this call setup.
If actually 180 is followed by a non-2XX final answer, I would have the UAS that serves the destination check this signaling - it doesn't look right, it makes no telephony sense.

Thanks,
Aniella