[SIPForum-discussion] RFC2833 dtmf with inband dtmf

Jastak, Eric Eric.Jastak at adp.com
Thu Dec 13 05:59:40 UTC 2012

Hi Chet,

That's a very common scenario.  The advantage of sending both rfc2833 dtmf events (out of band) and the dtmf imbedded in the rtp stream (in-band) is redundancy.  If the rtp stream terminates on a gateway that doesn't support rfc2833 dtmf events, then the in-band dtmf will be used by the receiving device.  Of course, this only works with g711 codec.  In-band dtmf with g729, for example, would not be useable because of poor fidelity.  So, you are completely dependent on rfc2833 for dtmf when using  lower bandwidth codecs like g729.

Eric