[SIPForum-discussion] Register without contact header

Dinesh Rao dinesh2022 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:45:09 UTC 2012

Hi hari,

Please Look at the packet below:-

U 192.168.1.84:1000 -> 192.168.1.84:5060
REGISTER sip:192.168.1.84:5060 SIP/2.0.
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 192.168.1.84:1000
;rport;branch=z9hG4bKc0a80154000000104f980aa075dd701300000001.
From: <sip:devtest-pbxtesting at 192.168.1.84:5060>;tag=39243947302137036211.
Max-Forwards: 70.
To: <sip:devtest-pbxtesting at 192.168.1.84:5060>.

In this case,contact header is missing.So, can we use via header and From
header to get the caller location as AOR is the IP of the proxy to which
the user is registered but no location information.

Regards
C.Dinesh

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Harry West <westie5017 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi Dinesh,
>
> I hope you are well.
>
> Technically, the CONTACT header is an optional field and therefore doesnt
> have to be present in a REGISTER method, as this field essentially provides
> the available addresses for participation in a dialog. It is the
> Address-of-Record (AOR) URI contained within the REGISTER message that
> denotes the location of the UA. With that in mind, I believe that this
> request should be processed.
>
> In the event that a mandatory header is missing in the REGISTER request
> then I believe that you would get a 400 Bad Request message.
>
> Are you experiencing a problem with a particular platform?
>
> Kind Regards,
>

> Harry West
> Solutions Architect - Voice & Unified Communications
>

> ------------------------------
> Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:45:09 +0530
> From: dinesh2022 at gmail.com
> To: discussion at sipforum.org
>
> Subject: [SIPForum-discussion] Register without contact header
>

> In register request,if contact header is missing, then is the request is
> processed or dropped? And what is the response for missing any mandatory
> header in register request.
>
> Thanks
> *C.Dinesh*
> Software Engineer