[SIPForum-discussion] SIP testing

Guido Negro guido.negro at gradwell.com
Wed May 11 09:12:48 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I am writing an app for system testing of a sip-endpoint. I'd like an
opinion about some definitions I need to fix.

In my case a SIP test is a program that acts like a the phone and
verifies that another SIP end-point behaves in a specific expected way.

Therefore I defined a _SIP test failure_ : "a situation where a test is
able to detect that the SIP end-point does not behave in the expected way".

That said, in my opinion, there are only 2 situations that could cause a
so-defined _SIP test failure_:

     * a timeout expires while a test is expecting a specific
request/response

     * a different response is received than the one expected (skipping
1xx of course)

Do you reckon this is all, or might there be other situations that could
cause a SIP test failure?

Thanks a lot,

Best regards,

Guido Negro.