[SIPForum-discussion] Call connected on different codec

Aniella Juverdeanu Aniella.Juverdeanu at telus.com
Thu Dec 29 22:02:20 UTC 2011

First of all I am sorry for my mistake about 487 (instead 488) - that I rectified after - must have been the vacation mind set.
Anyway, it would be good if everybody would follow the RFCs as it would be good if RFCs would be updated with real life network requirements. I have been working with interworking many SIP applications for 6 years. So, the practice would tell me that as UAC you do not want a 200 ok with another codec than offered in Invite (as mentioned in RFC 3261). You would like to be able to reroute the call over another carrier that supports your codec (eventually use your own transcoding device for these particular calls) based on the UAS release cause.
So the best behaviour is for UAS to release with correct cause - and 488 seems to be implemented by many vendors - although to me it makes more sense to be more specific and use a release cause that would help rerouting the call only for the exact type of failure (as we can see the RFC uses SHOULD use 488 and not MUST).
For the UAC not having to wait for 200 ok and getting 4XX release it means time saved in continuing the call on another route. Plus it is quite hard to reroute based on 200 ok SDP response unless there is a built in mechanism.

Aniella