[SIPForum-discussion] Possible responses to 180 Ringing Messages

Rudra Kant Kanth rudra.k1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 05:10:07 UTC 2011

Hi Keyur,

Yes, you are correct in saying that a BYE cannot follow a 180 Ringing
(since BYE is used to terminate an established session).

In normal cases UAC-1 sends a CANCEL to terminate his INVITE after 180
Ringing and before UAC-2 sends his 200OK. However in race situations, while
CANCEL was sent by UAC-1 but, before UAC-2 receives the CANCEL it sends
it's 200OK (assuming there is some delay b/w UAC-1 and UAC-2, OR some
proxies in between OR both UAC-1 and UAC-2 pressed Cancel and Accept-Call
almost at same instant);

IN THESE CASES:-
One transaction has
INVITE ----------------------> C_seq =1 invite
<------------------ 100 Trying C_seq =1 invite
<------------------ 180 Ringing C_seq =1 invite

Now, a CANCEL is sent and parallely a 200OK is also sent:-
CANCEL -------------> C_seq =1 Cancel                              || both
happening at same
<--------------- 200 OK C_seq =1 invite                                 ||
instants of time
<--------------- 200 OK C_seq =1 Cancel

UAS are stack-coded in a way that the moment they receive a Cancel, they
immediately responds with a 200OK to update successful receipt; also CANCEL
is a separate transaction. Any by default, to terminate original
transaction of INVITE, generally a 487 is sent (which is a Final Response).
However, in our case; UAC-1 finds that it has already received a final
response in form of 200 OK for it's INVITE transaction; so it may not get
another final response from UAC-2.

Thus, UAC-1 has to send a BYE to terminate the unwanted established
transaction, thus, ask UAC-2 to release off the unwanted ports.

I hope this makes sense.

MEANWHILE, my take for the question as "subsequent messages for a 180
Ringing" continues to be PRACK, INVITE and CANCEL.

Regards,
Rudra