[SIPForum-discussion] Difference between stateless and stateful proxy in SIP protocol

Corey Thornburg cthornburg at momentumtelecom.com
Tue Sep 28 19:27:16 UTC 2010

Most UAC's will not be able to traverse 100 proxy's.  The standard is to set Max-forwards to 70 in the initial REQUEST:

8.1.1.6 Max-Forwards

   The Max-Forwards header field serves to limit the number of hops a

   request can transit on the way to its destination.  It consists of an

   integer that is decremented by one at each hop.  If the Max-Forwards

   value reaches 0 before the request reaches its destination, it will

   be rejected with a 483(Too Many Hops) error response.

   A UAC MUST insert a Max-Forwards header field into each request it

   originates with a value that SHOULD be 70.  This number was chosen to

   be sufficiently large to guarantee that a request would not be

   dropped in any SIP network when there were no loops, but not so large

   as to consume proxy resources when a loop does occur.  Lower values

   should be used with caution and only in networks where topologies are

   known by the UA.

Corey Thornburg

VoIP Architect