[SIPForum-discussion] Difference between stateless and stateful proxy in SIP protocol

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Sep 28 18:02:31 UTC 2010

On 09/27/2010 11:06 PM, Ruben Roque wrote:

> 1) I want to know an example of a stateless proxy and a stateful proxy.
> Is B2BUA a stateless or stateful proxy?

Neither. Proxies are not UAs, by definition, so a B2BUA cannot be a proxy.

> 2) If a INVITE request is to be sent from user A to user B, but there
> are 100 stateless proxies in path -- will the request be successfully
> delivered to user B?

There isn't enough information in this question to be able to answer
it... but assuming that all the proxies are configured properly, and
that the network elements between them are working correctly, sure,
there's no reason to think the request wouldn't be successfully delivered.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com