[SIPForum-discussion] no response for Invite Request

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sun Sep 12 15:58:33 UTC 2010

On 09/10/2010 09:11 AM, Yellow wrote:
> What shall UAC do if no response received for Invite Request  even after
> retransmission time out ?
>
> According to my understanding It is not proper for sending CANCEL or Bye?
>

> Can anybody tell me the answer and which RFC should I refer to.

This is documented in RFC3261. If the UAC has never received a response
to the INVITE, even after the prescribed number of retransmissions, then
it must assume the UAS is not operating, not listening at the
address/port expected, or some other serious error has occurred. The UAC
can do nothing in this situation except drop the INVITE attempt. There
is no place to send a CANCEL to, and a UAC never sends BYE for its own
INVITE until after it has gotten a final response to it.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com