[SIPForum-discussion] [SIP Forum-discussion] DTMF on SIP

AMIT ANAND amiit.anand at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 13:24:13 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Eduardo Lobato <
eduardo.lobato at tatacommunications.com> wrote:

Hi ,

Please find the answer in line

1.How to find the DTMF option is accepting while making a call through sip
gateway ?
For this you would have to look at the signalling messages for the call,
I.e the INFO type is defined in the ALLOW header for out of band DTMF and
the parameters for INBAND DTMF are defined in SDP.

2.Is there any relation between codec and DTMF signaling?
  Yes, If DTMF is INBAND codec plays role in that,

3.Will the DTMF will get reverse? i.e if we enter the digit 1234 will it
reply as 4321?
 No, It should get delivered the way it has been generated untill if some
special algorithm is getting followed between both ends, I am not aware of
any such algo.

Hope this clrears your query,

Cheers
Amit Anand

> With SIP INFO DTMF digits are carried out-of-band (I.e. In the signaling
> stream), with INBAND the DTMF digits are carried as part of the RTP/Media
> stream as audio packets, with 2833 DTMF digits are carried as part of the
> media stream but with a different payload type and embedded digit
> indication.

Thanks
Amit Anand