[SIPForum-discussion] SIP REFER and new INVITE

sampath.kumar1 at wipro.com sampath.kumar1 at wipro.com
Fri Oct 8 03:34:55 UTC 2010

Hi Praveen,

First of all Thanks a lot for your reply!.

Yes, your understanding of my question is correct.

And my understanding from your answer is that the same protocol which
was used in the first call will be used in the second call also.

And the referring ua or proxy does not decide which protocol it should
use.

This question is raised because, I am working on scenario like, the new
INVITE message after the REFER is not using the same schema that it is
received in the Refer-To header.

For example: In the first call (first INVITE message) it uses a SIP:
schema and if the REFER method carries a Refer-To header with SIPS:
schema. In this case the expectation is to use SIPS: schema in the new
call (New INVITE message).

In this case if the first call is established with UDP protocol and if
the Refer-To header contains SIPS: schema in the REFER method then how
it should work. And will there be any case like this.

Thanks,

Sampath