[SIPForum-discussion] Mitel's MINET protocol to SIP protocolconversion ?

Medve, Steve smedve at redcom.com
Mon Nov 22 18:48:39 UTC 2010

Please note my notes on this are dated as I answered this same question
about a year ago. Here's a cut and paste of notes from that excerpt.  I
believed this ended up working  in the end run with some configuration
editing. I don't remember where these notes came from other than I
copied and pasted to help someone else.  I hope these get you up and
running.

Steve

Mitel MiNET to SIP Conversion

Mitel MiNET to SIP Conversion

The typical Mitel phone ships from the vendor in MiNET mode and the
firmware version present will most likely not support SIP mode. This
guide explains how to convert a 5330 or 5340 set to SIP mode. (Some
contents may apply to other models, in particular the 5224, but those
have quirks not detailed here.)

Mitel is no longer release SIP Firmware via the sipdnld site. Call your
Mitel reseller to obtain the SIP Firmware for all models

Installing New Sets

When installing Mitel SIP Phones that are new, you must power up the
phone and change mode to SIP Mode. To accomplish this, power up the
phone while holding the * and 7 keys simultaneously. You will be
prompted when to release the keys. Once the mode has been changed to SIP
Mode, you can then proceed with the configuration of the phone.

Step 1 - DHCP Server Configuration

Optional
Configure your DHCP Server with the following options (all required!):

Option 128 - TFTP Server (For firmware and configuration downloads), IP
Address
Option 129 - RTP Server (For media server), IP Address
Option 130 - Phone Type, String - Must equal "MITEL IP PHONE"
Option 132 - VLAN ID (For voice network packet tagging), String - "0"
for None/Default or the ID of your voice VLAN
Option 133 - Priority (?), String - Mitel likes "6"

Step 2 - TFTP Server Configuration

You'll need to have a TFTP server at your disposal. Place the latest
firmware in your tftp's serving directory so that the phone can download
it.

*	An excellent, free TFTP server (for Windows) can be downloaded
from here: http://tftpd32.jounin.net/
*	Mitel Firmware download link and notes are here: Mitel SIP
Firmware <http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Mitel+SIP+Firmware>

Step 3 - Phone Up, Phone Down

Plug in the phone and let it boot. It will gain an IP, download the
firmware, install the firmware and reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG THE PHONE WHILE IT IS INSTALLING THE UPDATE

Once the phone is done, it will sit at a screen with the "Set" IP and
the "ICP" IP showing, and periodically reboot. At this point, you can
unplug the phone.
Hold the "Volume Down" button and plug the phone back in. Use the on
screen display to complete the following:

Configure Phone (*=Yes)
(Cycle through options saying "#=No" until...)
Phone Mode (*=Yes)
Protocol (*=Yes)
Phone Mode: Minet (*=Change)
Phone Mode: Minet (0=SIP)
Phone Mode: SIP (#=Accept)
Store Changes? (*=Yes)
Reboot Now? (*=Yes)

The phone will now reset and come back up in SIP mode.

Steven A. Medve

REDCOM Laboratories, Inc.
585-924-6552 - Office

315-372-3045 - Mobile
smedve at redcom.com

http://www.redcom.com <http://www.redcom.com/>

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above, and may be
legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
or copying of this communication, or any of its content, is strictly
re-send this communication to the sender and delete the original message
and any copy of it from your computer system.