[SIPForum-discussion] New to SIP

Rosen, Brian Brian.Rosen at neustar.biz
Fri May 21 20:51:28 UTC 2010

Well, you have a lot to learn.  I'd spend more time with the basics, and probably get the Johnson book on SIP and understand nearly all of it before starting out.

Anyway:

You don't need to REGISTER.  Phones register, you don't really have to.  it may be that what you are building is actually part of a larger system that includes the voicemail system itself.  That answers phone calls, and would probably register.  This somewhat depends on how the rest of the system is set up.

You don't INVITE. INVITE sets up a phone call, and you aren't doing that

What you do is to provide a system that accepts a SUBSCRIBE request from the phone, and then you use a NOTIFY to change the state of the light.

The relevant part of RFC3842 that you want to understand is:

 Using SIP-Specific Event Notification, a Subscriber User Agent
   (typically an IP phone or SIP software User Agent) subscribes to the
   status of their messages.  A SIP User Agent acting on behalf of the
   user's messaging system then notifies the Subscriber each time the
   messaging account's messages have changed.  (This Notifier could be
   composed with a User Agent that provides a real-time media interface
   to send or receive messages, or it could be a stand-alone entity.)
   The Notifier sends a message summary in the body of a NOTIFY, encoded
   in a new MIME type defined later in this document.  A User Agent can
   also explicitly fetch the current status.

RFC3842 provides a complete example that will be useful to you.

i am assuming that the phones you want to light the message waiting light implement RFC3842.

Brian