[SIPForum-discussion] regarding tag parameter in From header

shiba shankar rout rout.shibashankar at gmail.com
Wed May 5 18:22:23 UTC 2010

*Hi Nishant,

Please see  the answers  inline.

*

*1)      What is the uses of From tag in from header .*

*AFAIK : it will be used in dialog creation which consist of tag from TO
header and FROM header along with Call-ID , what else ?*

* [ssrout] Yes for  a dialog creation "From Tag , To tag & Call-ID " plays
the role. To Tag is added by proxy. Hence  it is mandatory.
*

*2)      Is this mandatory in the initial INVITE message ? If not in which
case it will be optional ?*
*[ssrout] Yes it is mandatory. It is optional only for REGISTER request. As
Register  request does not form any sort of dialog. But its completely how
you are going to implement UAC. But SIP stack needs From Tag in every
Request.

Hope this might answered to your queries.

Please correct if i am wrong.

Best Regards,
S S Rout*